My spring trimester software development classes began today. Because I have about 30 students registered, I added a second section so that underclassmen could take part (our normal class size is 18 to 20 students). Our class goal for the term is to develop the website bazaesperanto.com for structuring the activities for teaching Esperanto to a commutative level over a trimester to American high school students. Hence the students in the class will both learn the language and learn how to build a real-world web site.
As with any software class, we began with the classic “Hello World!” program. This required that we set everyone up with the latest version of Netbeans development environment, getting them set up with a server account, and walking students through the steps of uploading their work.
The one twist was that other than having Hello World being in Esperanto, we added a title element to the h1 tag so that when a user hovers over the phrase it would show the English translation. Soon we will build an even more useful pop-up for displaying content like a link to sound files, definitions in Esperanto, etc. But it was a good beginning. While we had a normal amount of first-day frustrations with getting everyone connected, most students were successful.
Here is the html code for our first day upload.
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>Saluton Mondo!</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> </head> <body> <h1 title="Hello World">Saluton Mondo!</h1> </body> </html>